Not one but three firework displays will fill the skies above Abu Dhabi in bursts of sparkles and colours on Wednesday, 2 December.
All three firework displays are part of The Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi (DCT Abu Dhabi) plans to celebrate the UAE’s 49th National Day through a calendar of thrilling activities.
You’ll only be able to watch the displays on TV and social media channels, unless you are in Al Wathba, where you can view the burst of colours from your windows and balconies.
The measures are due to the health and safety measures, for the wellbeing of everyone, and in line with the Emirate’s leading efforts in employing significant measures against COVID-19.
All citizens and residents are invited to enjoy the fireworks on the Corniche live on Abu Dhabi TV and Emarat TV, as well as UAE_BARQ official Instagram page, on Wednesday, 2 December at 9:25 pm.
The firework show on Al Reem Island will be broadcast live on Abu Dhabi Calendar official Instagram page, and those in Al Wathba will watch the fireworks, which also starts at 9 pm, from their windows and balconies.
This year’s celebrations were designed to bring together the emirate’s community with a strong message of hope for a bright and promising future as the UAE approaches its Golden Jubilee, its 50th National Day in 2021.
“DCT Abu Dhabi congratulates the UAE and its leaders on the 49th National Day. We look forward to many more years of prosperity and unity for our beloved nation,” said HE Ali Hassan Al Shaiba, Executive Director of Tourism and Marketing at DCT Abu Dhabi.
“On this special day, we renew our pledge to safeguard the diversity and unity of our community and maintain our nation’s position in all fields as a true example of cohesion between people and their leaders.”
- Snapchat Filter: Abu Dhabi Culture will be celebrating this special occasion through launching a special traditional Ayala dance Snapchat filter.
- National Anthem Video: Musicians and performers filmed in different cultural sites and museums, playing their own versions of the national anthem using different instruments.
- Sounds of UAE: Pre-recorded concerts bringing together musicians from the UAE and the region to perform live from Al Jahili Fort in Al Ain, celebrating the musical traditions of the UAE for two consecutive night on December 2 and 3.
- Heritage in a Box: Qasr Al Hosn will be giving away home Henna and Ayala boxes to random families across the country to celebrate the UAE shared heritage. Part of the boxes will also be available on site.
- Virtual Flashmobs: Coinciding the UAE 49th National Day, Qasr Al Hosn will be celebrating its 2nd year anniversary through an on-site activation as well as an outdoor campaign to promote its unique heritage experience and cultural offerings.
- Berklee Abu Dhabi: The renowned institute for contemporary music, dance and theatre will contribute to National Day by releasing a special video on December 2 of the National Anthem performed by its musicians.
Other Celebrations in the Emirate:
- As part of the nation-wide celebrations, the UAE capital will host an action-packed array of activities including a charity art exhibition at Galleria Mall in Al Maryah Island.
- Residents can enjoy watching an exclusive projection of the UAE flag and colours on the façade of Qasr Al Watan.
- The UAE’s premier entertainment destination, Yas Island, is offering 49 percent discounts on tickets to its theme parks and attractions.
- Yas Mall, W Abu Dhabi, and Yas Marina Circuit will also be covered with the UAE flag colours, with a fireworks show set to start at 9pm at Yas Marina, which will be broadcast live on Yas Island’s social media channels (Facebook and Instagram).
- The Al Ain Municipality building, and Jebel Hafit will stage fireworks shows starting from 8pm every night between 1-3 December.