Get ready to be dazzled by classical Arabic sounds.
Here’s your chance to be part of The Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi’s Ramadaniyyat Suhoor Music Event where the internationally acclaimed oud and violin virtuoso Simon Shaheen is set to dazzle listeners with classical Arabic sounds when he heads to the sate on Friday, 15 April at 9.30pm.
Our friends over at The Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi have given us 10 pairs of tickets (That’s 20 in total) to you to win.
Those who win will get to join Suhoor with music featuring one of the most significant Arab musicians, performers, and composers of his generation.
Simon Shaheen and his band showcase the soaring technique, melodic ingenuity, and unparalleled grace, which have earned him international recognition as a virtuoso on the oud and violin.
Shaheen’s work incorporates and reflects a legacy of Arabic music, while it forges ahead to new frontiers, embracing many different styles. This unique contribution to the world of arts was recognized in 1994 when Shaheen was honored with the prestigious National Heritage Award at the White House.
In the 1990s, he released four albums of his own: Saltanah (Water Lily Acoustics), Turath (CMP), Taqasim (Lyrichord), and Simon Shaheen: The Music of Mohamed Abdel Wahab (Axiom), while also contributing cuts to producer Bill Laswell’s fusion collective, Hallucination Engine (Island).
He has contributed selections to soundtracks for The Sheltering Sky and Malcolm X, among others, and has composed the entire soundtrack for the United Nations–sponsored documentary, For Everyone Everywhere. Broadcast globally in December 1998, this film celebrated the 50th anniversary of the United Nations Human Rights Charter.
But perhaps his greatest success has come with Blue Flame (ARK21, 2001), where he leads his group, Qantara, on a labyrinthian journey through the world of fusion music to discover the heart of the Middle East. The album has been nominated for eleven Grammy Awards, and the band’s performances have been called “glorious.”
If you fancy your chance at more competitions, visit our competitions page.
For a chance to win a pair of tickets to this incredible concert, you just need to answer the following question correctly:
What instrument does Simon Shaheen play?
- The tickets are for Simon Shaheen on Friday, 15 April 15 at 9.30pm
- The tickets will be emailed to the confirmed winners email addresses
- Tickets are non-transferrable and must be used for the date issued
- Tickets are General Admission
- The performance is in The Red Theater at The Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi
- You must hold a green pass on the Al Hosn app if you are over 16-years of age or a negative PCR test not exceeding 14 days
- Yalla Abu Dhabi reserves the right to choose the winners
- Yalla Abu Dhabi reserves the right to withdraw the winner’s place and offer to another entrant if no response from the winner has been received within 24 hours of initial contact
- The Promoter may terminate, amend or withdraw this prize draw and/or these terms and conditions at any time
- Entry to the prize draw is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions. By entering the competition, you are deemed to have read and accepted these terms
- For a full list of Yalla Abu Dhabi Life’s Terms and Conditions, click here.